Wednesday 13 March 2013

A new hobby...a new challenge.


I've started sewing.  I'm not very good at it, I must admit, but one needs a challenge every now and then.  I'm currently part way through this pattern.
A very simple skirt and cape pattern, or so I thought.

 I have a couple of bits of the skirt to unpick and resew as it came out larger than expected  (No, I didn't make a muslin.  Yes, I know that is silly) but all in all it is starting to take shape.  Hopefully I will start putting the cape together in the next week or so.


It's a very tiny red and black check.  The fabric came from a car boot sale.
Just enough for the skirt.  Cape will be black with this fabric as accents.

Slightly too big, so am going to unpick and start again.
I hate unpicking so this is a valuable lesson.

A blouse I am making to match from a pattern with no instructions.
Yep, I tend to go all out when I'm trying to learn something.


I thought I'd also share my latest sewing pattern purchase.  Feast your eyes on this baby from 1934.





Yes, it even has the original receipt in the envelope.


It says it is a beginner pattern, and I'm certainly that so lets hope I can manage it!

I'm thinking view C in a nice pale green slubby wool.



In other news: I've been a busy girl lately - racking up potential blog posts and not having the time to post them so hopefully this week I'll get a chance to update you all.

I've changed my hair colour, indulged in some delicious French food and attended a hair styling session.  I've been to the theatre and also owe you some hair setting posts.  Gotta get back on the horse.


20 comments:

  1. I never make a muslin. I always feel like it is a waste of time to sew something twice. I know that is bad of me - but then I have also found it the best way to learn. All the dresses I have made in the past have been with fabric that I have thrifted and I kinda see them as practice runs that I wear out of the house on occasion :)

    Loving the skirt and cape combo :) And a green dress get's my vote everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a muslin years ago, on another attempt, it was a pair of trousers. I must finish those...

      Delete
  2. Good on you for trying something new! Looking forward to the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure it won't be great but everyone must start somewhere, right!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you've certainly chosen some lovely patterns to being with, there going to look wonderful when finished. And even with all those seams to unpick and redo, sewing is much quicker to reward than knitting, you'll have a great outfit in no time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! Welcome to the land of vintage sewing. I can't wait to see those outfits when you are finished. Truth: I never ever make a muslin and 99% of the time, everything works out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am keen to start sewing but I don't really have a table big enough to set up a sewing machine on. But I suppose if I wait for that to happen I will never do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sewing is sooo satisfying, I don't do knitting it's too slow! I never make a muslin either but I'm starting to think I will more as I have some really nice vintage fabric I want to make stuff up in, and it scares me to get it wrong.

    I also make blouses and skirts up without a pattern and just wing it, it's always worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been sewing for years, and I still wind up having to pick out a lot. Not that I mean to discourage you, but just saying it happens to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that 30's pattern is gorgeous! I'm starting to sew more, but I'm not very good at it. It's a bit off putting when your sister and mum are so good at it. I tend to give up easily when something doesn't go right as well, so getting things finished is tough and lengthy! What you have made so far looks great- so keep it up.
    tupps x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tupps, from what I've seen you can do anything you turn your mind to. :-)

      Delete
  10. Thanks all. I've gt a darling green deco buckle for the dress I have planned so cannot wait to get this cape finished so I can start that project. Unpicked the skirt placket and basted in a zip today - looks much better already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for you! I also want to learn to sew. I've been wanting to for a while now but never have taken the time to get started. Truth be told, I don't even know how to get started. Hmmm... you've inspired me to do a little research. You're right. Everyone has to start somewhere. I can't wait to see your finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told to start with cushion covers - makes sense really - straight lines, corners and a zip. Really all the basics. Did I do that, did I hell!

      Delete
  12. I look forward to seeing the new hair colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never make a muslin although I will admit I'm currently making a tie front blouse which is technically a muslin but it's in leftover fabric that I wouldn't mind wearing if it goes ok!

    All my skirt sewing is done from self drafted patterns (or copying high street and fudging it into my take on vintage! LOL!) I found a tutorial for making your own straight skirts (I taper mine to make it more pencil) and I've got a bit carried away....got 20+ of the blighters now!
    This is the tutorial I used....you might want to turn the sound off as Euro Folk music is all you're missing! (I'm sure it didn't have that when I viewed it before. LOL!)
    http://sewing.wonderhowto.com/how-to/design-basic-straight-skirt-pattern-0133842/

    Intrigued about your hair colour, can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great pattern, can't wait to see how it turns out! I'm sure it'll be great.

    Sewing will never be like knitting for me, but I've been doing it a lot more. On occasion (a big project or something I am worried about) I'll do a muslin but more often than not, nope. It's too much of a chore and takes a lot of the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a dream about you last night - you had a dress that I wanted and I was jealous as heck. SO I wondered how the sewing is getting on?

    ReplyDelete