Well hello there!
I thought I'd give you a peek at my current knitting project and rave about a knitting epiphany I have just had.
I recently bought a heap of pdf patterns from one of my favorite online shops The Vintage Knitting Lady and quickly started on the clear "instant gratification" item. A 1940's blouse that claimed it could be knit in three evenings (Hah!).
It actually is a fairly quick knit, especially if you only do 1.5 instead of 2.5 inches of K1, P1 rib. I hate K1, P1 rib with a passion, especially on tiny needles.
The pattern doesn't requite much yarn as it is a very loose knit and so I used some unidentified yarn I picked up from the local charity shop. It came with some vintage 3ply and is a little thicker so is possibly a 4 ply and is definitely 100% wool and such a pretty blue.
The pattern does not have any tension information and needed to be resized so I took a gamble and used needles 0.5 mm larger than suggested.
I was worried throughout knitting the back section as it still looked incredible small and when I stretched it it looked odd. I persevered though in the hope that blocking could sort it out.
This was quite a gamble for me as I have, so far, found blocking to be completely pointless. However this is the first time I have worked with 100% wool yarn and now I have seen the light, for animal fibres at least.
I soaked the finished piece in cold water for 20 minutes and then gently squeezed out all of the water and rolled the piece in a towel. I then pinned the piece out to the size I wanted and let it dry.
In the morning there it was, dry, with even stitching and in the size I was after. An absolute miracle.
Here is the blocked piece next to the unblocked front piece so you can see the difference.
It's a miracle, a yarny miracle!
I'm still not sure how this will turn out, or if I even have enough yarn to finish it, we shall see.