Sunday 6 March 2011

For the love of Miss Lemon

I must admit I am a little hungover today following an uproarious night out with the girls last night.  To ease myself through a painful day I have been watching Poirot.  Today's episode was "Hickory Dickory Dock" and heavily featured Miss Lemon, Poirot's faithful secretary.

Miss Lemon is probably my favourite Poirot character and I must admit it is her clothes that I am really in love with.  A lot of you will know about the famous cardigan, the one which many in the vintage community covet, a beautiful long sleeved red knit with a red and white bow at the neck (see below).  This is one of my favourites too, and, fact fans - it has not only been worn by Miss Lemon but also appeared on a murder suspect in a much later episode of Poirot and in the film "La Vie en Rose."

Here is the gorgeous little number:




Here are some other wonderful items from Miss Lemon's wardrobe:

Look at the pocket detail on this, wowzers!


This hat is incredible and I love the colour combination.

Look at the zigzag detail!


Oh, the neckline detail...


I wish I had a clearer image of this dress.

Miss Lemon, played by Pauline Moran, is thought by Poirot to be an ugly woman and in truth she irritates him.  They like to tease one another, Poirot is particularly amused by her love of filing.

"Agatha Christie: Poirot: The Incredible Theft (#1.8)" (1989)
Miss Lemon: This lady keeps telephoning, Mr. Poirot.
Hercule Poirot: Sacré. What a terrible circumstance.
Miss Lemon: There's no need to be sarcastic, Mr. Poirot. I was going on to say that I didn't put her through to you, because she wouldn't give her name.
Hercule Poirot: Ah.
Miss Lemon: I told her you don't take anonymous phone-calls.
Hercule Poirot: But I do, Miss Lemon. Sometimes I think anonymous telephone calls are the only ones worth taking.
Miss Lemon: But how will I know where to file her if I haven't got a name?
Hercule Poirot: Life first, Ms. Lemon, filing second.
Miss Lemon: Very well then.
[Hastings huffs in amusement]
Miss Lemon: Next time she calls, I'll let her talk to you. And on your own head be it.
Captain Hastings: You shouldn't tease her, Poirot.
Hercule Poirot: She makes it irresistible.
Now - time to learn how to knit a stripey bow.

16 comments:

  1. couldn't agree more. Miss Lemon was chicer than chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh love that bow sweeter too, I have just spent the last few days working on a knitting pattern for that bow jumper after re-seeing it in la vie en rose, I'm hoping to do a pattern post on it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love miss Lemon! I don't think I've seen the episode where she wears that cardigan, but I do remember it on the murder suspect in that other Poirot...something about a girls school, if I remember correctly? Anyoo, that cardigan has always stuck in my mind as something I'd like to make in the future...now if only I could knit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She seems super chic I really should see Hickory Dickory Doc but I don't think they play it over here.

    For The Vintage Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crazy about those collar details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Miss Lemons style, I spend hours searching for pieces that she would approve of!!! (and creating her hairstyle!) Lol.... X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing better thank watching Poirot on a Sunday, aaaah! I love Miss Lemon too, always immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, Wendy I cannot wait for a pattern post. I was thinking of trying to make it up myself as I think it is a fairly plain red cardigan just with the bow attached but your expertise on the matter will be just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would you not just knit a stripy rectangle and nip it in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would, I was kinda joking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love her outfits, and I do love Poirot something fierce. I particularly like the zig zag outfit, I have a pattern for a knit dress with a cardigan top very similar! Such a neat little detail. I have a few patterns for cardigans with bows but am still working up the nerve, not sure if I think I can carry a bow like that. I'm going to try one on a sewing pattern first (less time invested, lol) and see what I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miss Lemon's my favourite too! I love the way she bosses him around sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know nothing about knitting, so knitting based jokes don't translate for me! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Miss Lemon was always dressed so super chic and I just drool and her cloths she is always so immaculate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does anyone know who did most of her clothes? I think she was stunning in anything she word---so classic with a flair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guess we all know I meant anything she wore in the above statement!

    ReplyDelete